Spring break is around the corner and we are sure students and educators alike are looking forward to a week of fun! If you are in need of some ideas to share with your little ones for how they can spend their time off, consider spending the break volunteering as a family. Volunteering not only helps make a difference in your community, but it also gives families a chance to learn together by working as a team to complete tasks.
The great thing about volunteering is that there are opportunities everywhere! We recommend that you contact local organizations ahead of time to ensure they allow children to participate and gather any information about safety rules or proper attire requirements.
We developed a list of local organizations that help make a difference and recruit volunteers of all ages:
- The YMCA is not only a great place to get involved with sports, but they also help people get involved with volunteering! From helping out at events to being a volunteer coach, there are many fun and active ways to get involved.
- Habitat for Humanity
- This wonderful organization has locations across the country where volunteers can help build homes for deserving families, or for a more kid-friendly alternative, volunteer to help maintain and clean public outdoor areas such as hiking trails.
- Ronald McDonald
- There are many volunteer options with the Ronald McDonald house such as cooking, hosting families and more. You can always help make a difference and help families of the Ronald McDonald house.
- Make a Wish
- Make a Wish volunteer opportunities include joining event committees, fundraising, translating and wish granting! Whether you want to work with the families directly or work behind the scenes to help put together amazing events and fundraisers, all volunteers are valuable.
- Meals on Wheels
- Help package and deliver food to members of your community through Meals on Wheels. Children are welcome to help as there is a lot of food to be delivered and an extra set of little hands are always helpful!
We hope this can motivate your family to consider setting aside some time to volunteer together and we wish everyone a fun and safe spring break!